One-Time Traffic Ticket Amnesty Program

On June 24, 2015, the Governor signed into law an amnesty program for unpaid traffic and non-traffic infraction tickets. This ends on March 31, 2017. For more details, visit Traffic Amnesty.

Traffic Tickets and Points

Traffic ticket fine amounts vary by county.  You will need to contact the county court listed on your ticket to get specific details.

If you are issued a traffic ticket, you'll need to decide whether to pay the fine and accept the penalty placed on your driving record or to contest the ticket and plead not guilty. Choosing the first of these options is simpler, although your insurance premium may go up.

Accepting the Penalty Online

If you would like to accept the penalty and pay the fine online, you should send your payment to the county court noted on your traffic ticket at least two weeks before your court date.  All tickets must be paid in full.  Check online for more detailed information for your country and be sure to read your ticket for any further information.

Fighting the Ticket

You may go to traffic court and plead “not guilty” if you believe you were not in violation of California law or if you believe there are extenuating circumstances.  You may want to contact a traffic attorney before you go to court. Remember, court expenses can be costly.

Lost Your Ticket

If you have lost your ticket, you will need to contact the county traffic court for the county where you received the citation.  The county clerk should be able to provide you all the information you need to pay the fine or fight the ticket.

Points for Your Tickets

The Point System ranges from 1 to 2 points.

Read the list of violations and the points you will get.

Suspensions Due to Points

If you receive too many points within a certain period of time, the DMV has the right to suspend your driving privileges.  The following usually results in a suspension:

  • If under age 18, a 30-day restriction for 2 points in 12 months, or for 3 points in 12 months
  • Receiving 4 points within a period of 12 months
  • Receiving 6 points in a period of 24 months
  • Receiving 8 points in a period of 36 months