Fast, Free Auto Insurance Quotes
Minimum auto insurance in Iowa
Iowa requires only one car insurance coverage type: Liability. It pays others for damage and injuries you cause. But you can be on the hook for the car accident bills your insurance doesn't cover, so it's wise to buy more than the state minimum auto insurance.
Minimum liability insurance in Iowa:
- $20,000 bodily injury per person
- $40,000 bodily injury per accident
- $15,000 property damage per accident
This is often written as 20/40/15.
Uninsured (UM) and underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage:
- Car insurance companies in Iowa must offer you UM and UIM but you can reject them in writing. They cover your injuries if you're hit by a driver with little or no car insurance. If you buy UM you must have at least limits of 20/40 in Iowa. If you buy UIM the amount must match your liability bodily injury limits.
Collision and comprehensive coverage:
- These cover car theft and damage to your own vehicle. If you have a car loan or lease you're probably required to buy these.
Medical payments (MedPay) coverage:
- MedPay is optional in Iowa. It pays for medical bills and funeral costs for you or your passengers, no matter who caused a car accident.
You must show an insurance ID card (or other proof of financial responsibility) in Iowa if:
- Law enforcement requests it
Penalties for not having car insurance in Iowa
- $250 fine; if in connection with a motor vehicle accident for which the individual is charged and found guilty, $500
Source: Property Casualty Insurers Association of America
Consumer complaints against the largest auto insurance companies in Iowa
Each state's department of insurance collects complaints against insurance companies. A "complaint ratio" number reveals the number of complaints against a company relative to its size of business. Shown here are national complaint ratios for large car insurance companies in Iowa.
Updated June 12, 2018
Find an Iowa auto insurance agent
Ankeny Car Insurance | Cedar Rapids Car Insurance | Council Bluffs Car Insurance | Davenport Car Insurance | Des Moines Car Insurance | Dubuque Car Insurance | Iowa City Car Insurance | Sioux City Car Insurance | Waterloo Car Insurance | West Des Moines Car Insurance