The New York DMV provides an online method for renewing your driver license and changing your address.
Renewing Your Driver's License or ID Card Online
Before you use the online portal, have the following handy:
- Have access to the internet
- A printer to print a temporary driver's license or ID. If you don't have a printer, it is better to renew by phone or in person. Your ID should arrive by mail within 10 days.
- Have your Social Security Number (SSN).
- Proof that you have passed an eye test--either through a certified Vision Test or be sure you are listed in the DMV Vision Registry.
- Be prepared to pay with a valid credit card (Visa, Master Card, American Expression or Discover).
- Your current New York Driver's License or ID card.
- You will need your ID number and document number from the card.
Visit dmv.ny.gov to begin the process.