Donating used cars is now a very popular method for getting rid of older vehicles that you no longer want. There are many charities that you can help by donating your car to them, just search on “Texas car donation charity” in your favorite search engine to find a large list of charities.
For any donation, you should go through the following quick checklist.
- Check out the Charity
- If you want to claim a deduction for the donation, you should make certain the charity is a qualified organization. You can use the “EO Select Check” tool on the IRS website at Charities-&-Non-Profits/ Exempt-Organizations-Select-Check
- See if you’ll get a tax benefit
- You can deduct contributions to charity only if you itemize deductions on the Schedule A section of Form 1040.
- Check the value of your vehicle
- The amount you may deduct for a vehicle contribution depends on what the charity does with the vehicle as reported in the written acknowledgment you receive from the charity.
- See what your responsibilities are as a donor to a charity
Donating in Texas
In Texas, to donate a vehicle to a qualifying 501 (c)(3), the signed negotiable title and completed Form 130-U must be provided to the county tax office to title the vehicle. The title application must also be accompanied by Form 14-317, Affidavit of Motor Vehicle Gift Transfer.
Frequently asked questions
- What can I donate?
- Most charities will accept cars, trucks, vans, boats and more. Please check with your charity to be sure.
- Does my vehicle need to work?
- Usually, your vehicle does not need to be in working order.
- Will the charity come get my vehicle?
- Many charities will pick up your vehicle. However, you will need to find out before you make the donation.
- Is my donation tax deductible?
- It primarily depends on the tax status of the charity organization. You can use the “EO Select Check” tool on the IRS website at Charities-&-Non-Profits/Exempt-Organizations-Select-Check
- What happens to my vehicle?
- Depending on the vehicle’s condition, it may be used by the organization for transportation, it may be sold as is, it may be sold for scrap metal, or they may find other uses for it.
Federal guidelines for vehicle donations can be found in this pdf file https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4303.pdf.