Fast, Free Auto Insurance Quotes
General Utah Insurance Guidelines
Utah currently requires that all drivers be covered under liability insurance. Proof of insurance must always be accessible in the vehicle.
Minimum Liability Coverage in Utah
Utah's minimum liability car insurance amounts are as follows:
- $25,000 bodily injury per person
- $65,000 total bodily injury per accident
- $15,000 total property damage per accident
These are only the minimum requirements set by the state. Experts advise protecting your assets by getting more coverage than the state-mandated minimums as these limits tend not to keep pace with the ever increasing costs of car repairs and medical bills. Most drivers also add collision and comprehensive coverage to their policies to cover possible damage to their own cars as well.
Penalties for Driving Without Insurance
The penalties for driving without car insurance in Utah are:
- Failure to provide insurance or operator's security is a Class B misdemeanor, for which the fine may not be less than $400 for a first offense and $1,000 for a second and subsequent offense within three years of a previous conviction or bail forfeiture.
- If a person is convicted for failure to insure a vehicle, the Utah Department of Public Safety (DPS) is required to suspend the person's driver's license.
- DPS may not renew or issue a driver license to the person until the person gives the agency proof of owner's or operator's security and pays a reinstatement fee.
- Upon receipt of such proof, DPS also will notify DMV.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage
Some states require drivers to carry UM/UIM, or uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. This coverage protects a driver if they get in an accident where the other party does not have auto insurance. Utah does not require UM/UIM coverage.
Some states have “No-Fault” laws where a policyholder will be reimbursed by their insurance company without proof of fault, and restricted in the right to seek reimbursement through the court system for losses caused by other parties. Utah is a no-fault insurance state.
Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Some states have Personal Injury Protection or “PIP” regulations requiring drivers to carry PIP insurance. This is an extension of auto insurance that covers medical expenses, lost wages and/or other damages. Utah requires drivers to purchase PIP insurance. The minimum PIP coverage amounts for Utah are coverage of $3,000.
SR-22 Requirements for Utah
An SR-22 insurance form is a vehicle liability insurance document to be filed with a state’s DMV as proof that a driver has the minimum required liability insurance coverage for that state. SR-22 filings are usually only required to reinstate driving privileges after an offense such as a DUI conviction, uninsured auto accident or driving without insurance. Utah requires an SR-22 filing for a driver’s license reinstatement.
Utah DUI Laws
It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle in the United States with a BAC (Blood Alcohol Content) level of 0.08% or higher. All states have driver's licensing laws that state that a licensed driver has given implied consent to a field sobriety test and/or method of determining BAC. This means that a driver is required to take such tests if a law enforcement officer has reasonable grounds for administering one, with automatic penalties for refusing to comply. If BAC is determined to be above the legal level a driver will be penalized in various ways. The first DUI offense penalties for Utah are:
- Minimum 2 days imprisonment or minimum 2 days community service or home confinement.
- Minimum $700 fine
- 120-day license suspension
- Possible home confinement
- Possible alcohol/drug screening
- Possible alcohol/drug assessment
- Possible substance abuse education
- Possible substance abuse treatment
Additional Information on Insurance for Utah
For more information, please contact Utah Insurance Department: 1-801-538-3035 or visit their website at insurance.utah.gov.
Be the best driver in Utah: Download EverDrive for your iOS or Android phone and start competing with your neighbors and friends!