Renewing Your Driver's License In Person
If you already have a California driver's license and you want to renew, you should do the following:
- We strongly recommend that you first make an appointment online using the Appointment System.
- Visit your local DMV office.
- Complete a Driver License or ID Card Application form. Note: You cannot download this from the internet or make a copy. If you did not receive one addressed to you in the mail you will need to request that one be mailed to you first. Call 1-800-777-0133 to ask for the form DL 44 or DL 44C.
- Give a thumb print at the visit.
- Have your picture taken.
- Pay the fee.
- Pass an Acuity Vision Exam.
- A 20/40 visual acuity with or without glasses is the guideline. If you are applying for a Class A, B, or commercial C you must see 20/40 with both eyes and also with each eye individually. You may be tested using either a Snellen Chart of an Optic 1000 Vision Tester.
- You may also be required to take a written test. Your renewal notice tells you whether you need to.
Renewing Your Driver License by Mail
You may be eligible to renew your license by postal mail. If you answer "yes" to any of the following questions, you will be required to visit a DMV office in person.
- Does your current driver's license expire more than 60 days from today?
- Will you be 70 years old or older when your current license expires?
- Have you already renewed by mail two consecutive five-year periods?
- Do you have a license from another state?
- If you are a commercial driver do you have a Hazmat Endorsement on your driver's license?
- Are you on any kind of driving probation or suspension?
- Have you violated a written promise to appear in court within the last 2 years?
If all of your answers are "no", then complete the California Driver's License Renewal By Mail Eligibility Form and mail it in with your payment. The address to send the form is printed on the bottom of the form.
Note: You cannot copy or download the renewal form on the internet. If you didn't receive one in the mail addressed to you, then call 1-800-777-0133 to get a form sent to you by postal mail. You can call day or night 24/7.
Renewing Your Driver's License Online
Go to the Apply Online section for more details.