Fast, Free Auto Insurance Quotes
Idaho car insurance minimums
Idaho requires only one type of car insurance: Liability. Auto liability insurance pays others: If you crash into another car or someone else's property, liability insurance pays for damage and injuries. It doesn't cover damage to your own car. For many people the state minimum auto insurance isn't enough. Let's look at the Idaho car insurance options.
Minimum liability insurance in Idaho:
- $25,000 bodily injury per person
- $50,000 bodily injury per accident
- $15,000 property damage per accident
This is often written as 25/50/15.
Uninsured (UM) and underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage:
- Idaho auto insurance companies must offer you UM and UIM but you can reject them in writing. These coverage types cover your medical bills if you're hit by someone with little or no car insurance. If you buy UM you must buy limits of at least $25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident (25/50).
Collision and comprehensive coverage:
- If you have a car loan or lease you're likely required to buy these. They cover car theft and damage to your own vehicle. (Remember that the liability insurance required in Idaho does not cover damage to your car.)
Medical payments (MedPay) coverage:
- MedPay is optional in Idaho. It pays for medical bills and funeral expenses for you or your passengers no matter who caused the car accident. It also pays out if you're struck by a vehicle while walking or riding in someone else's car.
You must show an insurance ID card (or other proof of financial responsibility) in Idaho when:
- Law enforcement requests it
- You renew vehicle registration
Penalties for not having auto insurance in Idaho
- First offense: $75 fine
- Second or subsequent offense within five years: a misdemeanor punishable by up to a $1,000 fine and/or up to six-month imprisonment
Source: Property Casualty Insurers Association of America
Consumer complaints against large auto insurance companies
Each state's department of insurance collects complaints against insurance companies. A national "complaint ratio" number is meant to show complaints relative to an insurer's size. Shown below are national complaint ratios for the largest auto insurance companies in Idaho.
Updated July 10, 2018
Find an Idaho car insurance agent
Boise Car Insurance | Caldwell Car Insurance | Coeur d'Alene Car Insurance | Eagle Car Insurance | Idaho Falls Car Insurance | Kuna Car Insurance | Lewiston Car Insurance | Meridian Car Insurance | Moscow Car Insurance | Nampa Car Insurance | Pocatello Car Insurance | Post Falls Car Insurance | Twin Falls Car Insurance | Rexburg Car Insurance