Fast, Free Auto Insurance Quotes
Required car insurance in Maine
Compared to other states, Maine requires a lot of car insurance: You must buy liability, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage and MedPay. The minimum required liability insurance, below, is also high compared to other states.
Minimum liability insurance in Maine:
Liability insurance pays for damage and injuries you cause to others if a crash is your fault. It's important to note that liability insurance does not cover damage to your own car. For that, consider collision and comprehensive insurance. In Maine you must buy liability coverage limits of at least:
- $50,000 bodily injury per person
- $100,000 bodily injury per accident
- $25,000 property damage per accident
This is often written as 50/100/25.
Minimum uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage:
UM and UIM coverage pays your medical bills if you're hit by a driver with no liability car insurance or not enough.
- Maine requires UM/UIM limits of at least 50/100 (meaning $50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident).
Medical payments (MedPay) coverage:
- Maine also requires MedPay, a coverage that pays medical bills and funeral costs for you or your passengers no matter who caused the accident.
Optional auto insurance in Maine
Comprehensive coverage: For theft of your vehicle or damage caused by hitting an animal, hail, flood, fire, vandalism, falling objects and explosions.
Collision coverage: For damage to your vehicle caused by hitting another car or an object, like a tree.
Rental reimbursement: Pays for a rental car if your car is being repaired due to a car accident.
You must show your auto insurance ID card (or other proof of financial responsibility) in Maine when:
- Law enforcement requests it
- You renew vehicle registration
- Your vehicle is involved in a car accident
Penalties for not having Maine car insurance
- Fine of $100-$500 along with possible suspension of license, registration, or both. Right to apply for a license or registration may be revoked.
Source: Property Casualty Insurers Association of America
Complaints against the largest car insurance companies in Maine
Each state's department of insurance collects complaints against insurance companies. A national "complaint ratio" number shows the level of complaints against a company relative to the insurer's size of business. Here are ratios for large car insurance companies in Maine.
Updated Aug. 10, 2018
Find a Maine auto insurance agent
Auburn Car Insurance | Augusta Car Insurance | Bangor Car Insurance | Biddeford Car Insurance | Brunswick Car Insurance | Lewiston Car Insurance | Portland Car Insurance | Sanford Car Insurance | Scarborough Car Insurance | South Portland Car Insurance