Fast, Free Auto Insurance Quotes
Required car insurance in Maine
Compared to other states, Maine requires a lot of car insurance: You must buy liability, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage and MedPay. The minimum required liability insurance, below, is also high compared to other states.
Minimum liability insurance in Maine:
- $50,000 bodily injury per person
- $100,000 bodily injury per accident
- $25,000 property damage per accident
This is often written as 50/100/25.
Minimum uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage:
UM and UIM coverage pays your medical bills if you're hit by a driver with no car insurance or not enough.
- Maine requires UM/UIM limits of at least 50/100 (meaning $50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident).
Medical payments (MedPay) coverage:
- Maine also requires MedPay, a coverage that pays medical bills and funeral costs for you or your passengers no matter who caused the accident.
Optional auto insurance in Maine
Comprehensive coverage: For theft of your vehicle or damage caused by hitting an animal, hail, flood, fire, vandalism, falling objects and explosions.
Collision coverage: For damage to your vehicle caused by hitting another car or an object, like a tree.
Rental reimbursement: Pays for a rental car if your car is being repaired due to a car accident.
You must show your auto insurance ID card (or other proof of financial responsibility) in Maine when:
- Law enforcement requests it
- You renew vehicle registration
- Your vehicle is involved in a car accident
Penalties for not having Maine car insurance
- Fine of $100-$500 along with possible suspension of license, registration, or both. Right to apply for a license or registration may be revoked.
Source: Property Casualty Insurers Association of America
Complaints against the largest car insurance companies in Maine
Each state's department of insurance collects complaints against insurance companies. A national "complaint ratio" number shows the level of complaints against a company relative to the insurer's size of business. Here are ratios for large car insurance companies in Maine.
Updated June 12, 2018
Find a Maine auto insurance agent
Auburn Car Insurance | Augusta Car Insurance | Bangor Car Insurance | Biddeford Car Insurance | Brunswick Car Insurance | Lewiston Car Insurance | Portland Car Insurance | Sanford Car Insurance | Scarborough Car Insurance | South Portland Car Insurance