Fast, Free Auto Insurance Quotes
Minimum car insurance in Missouri
Car owners in Missouri must have two types of auto insurance: Liability and uninsured motorist coverage. But for many drivers the minimum insurance required by the state is not enough. If you're in an accident or are sued for an accident, you'll likely need more coverage. Let's break down what's available so you can make the right car insurance purchase.
Minimum liability insurance:
Liability insurance is the foundation of auto insurance policies. It pays others if you cause a car accident. In Missouri you must have liability limits of at least:
- $25,000 bodily injury per person
- $50,000 bodily injury per accident
- $10,000 property damage per accident
This is often written as 25/50/10.
Minimum uninsured (UM) and underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage:
- Missouri drivers must have UM insurance. The minimum limits for UM are $25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident (known as 25/50). This coverage kicks in if you're injured by a driver who has no liability insurance.
Optional auto insurance in Missouri
Medical payments (MedPay) coverage: For your own medical bills from an accident, no matter who caused it. If you have health insurance you may not need MedPay.
Comprehensive and collision coverage: For theft of your car or damage from hitting another car, an animal like a deer, hail, flood, fire, vandalism, falling objects and explosions. If you have a car loan or lease you are probably required to have these.
Rental reimbursement: Pays for a rental if your car is being repaired after a car accident.
You must show an insurance ID card (or other proof of financial responsibility) when:
- Law enforcement requests it
- You renew vehicle registration
Penalties for not having auto insurance in Missouri
- Violation is punishable as a class D misdemeanor, which carries a fine up to $500.
- Subsequent violation is punishable by a fine up to $500, 15 days in jail, or both.
- Knowingly or intentionally possessing a fraudulent insurance identification card. (including mobile images) is a class B misdemeanor (punishable up to 6 months imprisonment).
- Producing or otherwise distributing a fraudulent insurance ID card, including an image displayed on a mobile electronic device, is a class E felony punishable by up to four years imprisonment.
Source: Property Casualty Insurers Association of America
Consumer complaints against car insurance companies
Each state's department of insurance tracks complaints against insurance companies that operate in their state. The National Association of Insurance Commissioners creates a "complaint ratio." This number is meant to show the complaints relative to the insurer's size of business. Here are national complaint ratios for the biggest car insurance companies in Missouri.
Updated Aug. 13, 2018
Find a Missouri auto insurance agent
Blue Springs Car Insurance | Columbia Car Insurance | Independence Car Insurance | Kansas City Car Insurance | Lee's Summit Car Insurance | Springfield Car Insurance | St. Charles Car Insurance | St. Joseph Car Insurance | St. Louis Car Insurance | St. Peters Car Insurance | Arnold Car Insurance | Ballwin Car Insurance | Belton Car Insurance | Cape Girardeau Car Insurance | Carthage Car Insurance | Chesterfield Car Insurance | Farmington Car Insurance | Florissant Car Insurance | Fulton Car Insurance | Grain Valley Car Insurance | Grandview Car Insurance | Hannibal Car Insurance | Hazelwood Car Insurance | Jackson Car Insurance | Jefferson City Car Insurance | Joplin Car Insurance | Kirksville Car Insurance | Lake St. Louis Car Insurance | Lebanon Car Insurance | Liberty Car Insurance | Marshall Car Insurance | Maryland Heights Car Insurance | Maryville Car Insurance | Moberly Car Insurance | Neosho Car Insurance | Nixa Car Insurance | Ozark Car Insurance | Poplar Bluff Car Insurance | Raymore Car Insurance | Republic Car Insurance | Rolla Car Insurance | Sedalia Car Insurance | Sikeston Car Insurance | St. Ann Car Insurance | Warrensburg Car Insurance | Washington Car Insurance | Wentzville Car Insurance | West Plains Car Insurance