Fast, Free Auto Insurance Quotes
|2||David J Ashton||
General North Dakota Insurance Guidelines
North Dakota currently requires that all drivers be covered under liability insurance. Proof of insurance must always be accessible in the vehicle.
Minimum Liability Coverage in North Dakota
North Dakota's minimum liability amounts are as follows:
- $25,000 bodily injury per person.
- $50,000 total bodily injury per accident.
- $25,000 total property damage per accident.
These are only the minimum requirements set by the state. Experts advise protecting your assets by getting more coverage than the state-mandated minimums as these limits tend not to keep pace with the ever increasing costs of car repairs and medical bills. Most drivers also add collision and comprehensive coverage to their policies to cover possible damage to their own cars as well.
Penalties for Driving Without Insurance
The penalties for driving without insurance in North Dakota are:
- Class B misdemeanor punishable by fine of at least $150
- In an accident, state will assess 14 points against license, resulting in suspension of license
- Any additional violations within 18 months of first offense will result in $300 fine and 6-12 points on license
- You will then need to prove that you are maintaining insurance for the next 3 years, at cost of immediate suspension
- iI you fail at any time
- You will also be required to surrender your license and acquire a duplicate license ($50) with notation indicating you are required to provide proof of insurance
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage
Some states require drivers to carry UM/UIM, or uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. This coverage protects a driver if they get in an accident where the other party does not have auto insurance. North Dakota requires UM/UIM coverage. The minimum UM/UIM coverage amounts for North Dakota are $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident.
Some states have “No-Fault” laws where a policyholder will be reimbursed by their insurance company without proof of fault, and restricted in the right to seek reimbursement through the court system for losses caused by other parties. North Dakota is a “No-Fault” state.
Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Some states have Personal Injury Protection or “PIP” regulations requiring drivers to carry PIP insurance. This is an extension of auto insurance that covers medical expenses, lost wages and/or other damages. North Dakota requires drivers to purchase PIP insurance. The minimum PIP coverage amounts for North Dakota are $30,000.
SR-22 Requirements for North Dakota
An SR-22 form is a vehicle liability insurance document to be filed with a state’s DMV as proof that a driver has the minimum required liability insurance coverage for that state. SR-22 filings are usually only required to reinstate driving privileges after an offense such as a DUI conviction, uninsured auto accident or driving without insurance. North Dakota requires an SR-22 filing for driver’s license reinstatement.
North Dakota DUI Laws
It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle in the United States with a BAC (Blood Alcohol Content) level of 0.08% or higher. All states have driver's licensing laws that state that a licensed driver has given implied consent to a field sobriety test and/or method of determining BAC. This means that a driver is required to take such tests if a law enforcement officer has reasonable grounds for administering one, with automatic penalties for refusing to comply. If BAC is determined to be above the legal level a driver will be penalized in various ways. The first DUI offense penalties for North Dakota are:
- 91-day license suspension if BAC is 0.08% - 0.17%
- 108-day license suspension if BAC is 0.18% +
- Minimum $250 fine
- Possible hardship license after 30 days
- Mandatory alcohol evaluation
Additional Information on Insurance for North Dakota
For more information, please contact North Dakota Insurance Department: 1-701-328-2440 or visit their website at www.nd.gov/ndins.
Be the best driver in North Dakota: Download EverDrive for your iOS or Android phone and start competing with your neighbors and friends!