Fast, Free Auto Insurance Quotes
About Travelers Insurance
Travelers is a large insurer offering coverage for private passenger autos, businesses, commercial vehicles, homes, farms, medical malpractice and more. It's also one of a small number of insurers that offer wedding insurance.
You can access policy, billing and claim information online or with the Travelers mobile app.
The company is based in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Travelers auto insurance customer satisfaction ratings
|Overall rating||Price satisfaction||Customer service satisfaction|
Would you choose Travelers auto insurance again?
See more ratings: Best car insurance companies
Travelers car insurance price comparison
Here's a look at how car insurance premiums compare among Travelers Insurance and other large car insurance companies.
|Company||Monthly premium paid|
|Source: Premiums reported by EverQuote users, based on policies with bodily injury liability coverage of 100/300. Rates are based on single vehicles with one driver who has a good driving record with no violations. Premiums for sedans, coupes and hatchbacks were averaged. Premiums are based on expenditures reported between Jan. 1, 2016, and April 1, 2018. Your own rates will be different.|
Travelers insurance choices
Travelers offers a full selection of basic auto insurance choices such as liability, comprehensive, collision, uninsured motorist, rental reimbursement and roadside assistance coverage. Here's a look at additional Travelers auto insurance options.
Proof of financial responsibility.
Also called auto loan/lease coverage. This can pay the difference between the value of a totaled or stolen car and what's still owed on a car loan or lease.
Insurance with rates based on driving habits, such as hard braking.
Liability insurance for people who don't own vehicles.
Extra coverage for Uber drivers and others.
|Yes, but in limited states|
|Source: EverQuote research. Product options might not be available in all states.|
Also offered by Travelers
Responsible Driver Plan
This option gives you forgiveness for one accident and one minor traffic violation every 36 months.
Premier Responsible Driver Plan
This gives you the accident and minor violation forgiveness in the "Responsible Driver Plan" plus:
- Decreasing deductible: For every six months that all drivers on a policy have no accidents or major violations, you'll get a $50 credit up to $500 that will be applied toward your deductible if you make a claim in the future.
- Total Loss Deductible Waiver: You won't pay a deductible if your car is totaled.
Premier new car replacement
If you total your new car in the first five years, Travelers will pay to replace it with a brand-new car of the same make and model.
Travelers car insurance discounts
Auto insurers must file their rates and policies with each state where they operate. EverQuote reviewed several Travelers filings to find discount details. Discounts details may vary among states, and might not be available in all states or from each Travelers Insurance subsidiary.
Based on the number late payments or insufficient funds payments in the last 36 months.
For full-time students age 16 and older who meet academic criteria such as a B average or better.
Student away at school
When a youthful driver is more than 100 miles away from home and without a car.
For drivers under age 21 who have a completed driver training course that meets certain requirements.
If you belong to certain groups, such as an employer or credit union, that has a discount arrangement with Travelers.
Based on the number of months you've had auto insurance without a lapse or gap.
For customers age 55 and older who complete an approved accident-prevention course.
For items such as air bags and seat belts.
Based on the date the new policy was quoted, the effective date, the expiration date of the prior policy, the prior insurance company, your residence type and the policy length.
Paid in full
For paying your bill in a lump sum.
For paying by electronic funds transfer or payroll deduction.
For signing up for Travelers' usage-based insurance program, which tracks driving habits.
What can increase car insurance rates?
It's common for car insurance companies raise rates after accident and tickets. EverQuote reviewed state insurance filings by Travelers to determine what will cause a rate increase. These factors could vary by state and Travelers subsidiary.
Travelers generally calculates an incident count and rate by looking for these problems:
At-fault accidents where there was a claim and you were more than 50% at fault.
Major convictions such as a reckless driving, a DUI or attempting to elude an officer.
Intermediate convictions such as speeding 11 to 15 mph over the speed limit.
Minor convictions such as speeding 1 to 5 mph over the speed limit.
Not-at-fault accidents over a certain dollar threshold (such as $500 total).
Not-at-fault accidents under a certain threshold that happened before the customer switched to Travelers.
Comprehensive coverage losses over a certain threshold (such as a total of $1,000).
Examples of not-at-fault accidents can include:
- Damage when your vehicle was lawfully parked.
- Damage from a person who has a judgment against them for the accident.
- Being rear-ended and not receiving a moving violation associated with the accident.
Consumer complaints against Travelers Insurance
Every state's insurance department handles complaints against insurers that operate in the state. The National Association of Insurance Commissioners collects complaint data and produces a complaint ratio. The number is meant to show the number of complaints relative to a company's size of business. The industry median ratio is 1.00 and lower numbers are better. Travelers' complaint ratios are better than the industry median.
Travelers home insurance customer satisfaction ratings
|Overall rating||Price satisfaction||Customer service satisfaction|
Would you choose Travelers home insurance again?
Companies within Travelers Cos. Inc.
Many insurance companies have several subsidiaries. These subsidiaries may not operate in all states and could focus on different types of customers or business. Travelers' subsidiaries include:
- Travelers Indemnity Co.
- Travelers Casualty & Surety Co.
- St. Paul Fire & Marine Insurance Co.
- Travelers Cas & Surety Co. Am
- Phoenix Insurance Co.
- Standard Fire Insurance Co.
- U.S. Fidelity & Guaranty Co.
- Travelers Casualty Insurance Co. of America
- Northland Insurance Co.
- Travelers Property Casualty Co. of America
- Travelers Indemnity Co. of CT
- Automobile Insurance Co. of Hartford
- Farmington Casualty Co.
- Premier Insurance Co. of MA
- Charter Oak Fire Insurance Co.
- St. Paul Protective Insurance Co.
- First Floridian Auto & Home
- St. Paul Surplus Lines Insurance Co.
- Travelers Indemnity Co. of America
- Northfield Insurance Co.
- St. Paul Mercury Insurance Co.
- Travelers Home & Marine Insurance Co.
- American Equity Insurance Co.
- Travelers Commercial Cas Co.
- Fidelity & Guaranty Insurance
- Travelers Commercial Insurance Co.
- Travelers Casualty Co. of CT
- Select Insurance Co.
- Travelers Property Casualty Insurance Co.
- TravCo Insurance Co.
- Travelers Personal Sec Insurance Co.
- Discover P&C Insurance Co.
- Travelers Excess & Surplus
- Travelers Personal Insurance Co.
- Travelers Casualty Co.
- Travelers Constitution State
- Gulf Underwriters Insurance Co
- Northland Casualty Co.
- Discover Specialty Insurance Co.
- American Equity Specialty Insurance Co.
- St. Paul Guardian Insurance Co.
- Fidelity & Guaranty Insurance Co.
- Travelers Lloyds of TX Insurance Co.
- Travelers Lloyds Insurance Co.
Source: S&P Global Market Intelligence
Travelers contact information
385 Washington Street
Saint Paul, MN 55102
Customer service: (800) 842-5075
Claims: 1-800-Claim33 (800-252-4633)
Methodology for ratings
For star ratings and whether customers would choose the company again, EverQuote commissioned a survey of 150 current customers of Travelers in March 2018. The survey was not open to the public on EverQuote.com.
Updated Nov. 7, 2018