Buying from a Private Owner
Before transferring the title, be sure you have an executed Bill of Sale Form with the current owner. Then the current owner should complete the first assignment section on the back of the title. Be sure they enter the following information:
- Purchaser's full legal name and current address. This name should match the name on your Massachusetts driver's license or state identification card.
- Date of sale (month, day, and year).
- The odometer reading at the time of the sale, without the tenths of miles. There are some exceptions to the odometer requirement. Generally, for cars newer than 10 years old, the reading is required.
- If the odometer does not accurately reflect the total actual mileage the vehicle has been driven or is exempt, check the appropriate box.
- The current owner must also print and sign their name. If the car is jointly owned, all owners must print and sign their names.
The purchaser must then do the following:
- Acknowledge the odometer declaration by printing and signing their name in the appropriate place. If jointly purchased, all new owners must print and sign their name.
- DO NOT sign a title that is blank.
- Make sure that all liens listed on the title have been previously released, or you will end up responsible for them.
- By the way, did you already do search for the vehicle history report?
To COMPLETE the transfer, you must present the following to a local RMV office within 30 days of the sale date.
- RMV-1 Application Form, that includes proof of insurance on the form from your agent.
- Property assigned title
- Payment for the transfer, registration fees. $75 title fee, 6.25% sales tax and additional fees based on vehicle or plate type.
Moved Massachusetts Resident Title Transfer
New residents moving to Massachusetts are required to title and register their vehicle in Massachusetts.
Refer to "New Car Registration" for more information.
Replace a Lost or Damaged Title
If a title is lost or destroyed you may get a new, certified title copy. Follow these steps to replace the title:
- Have your VIN or Title number handy.
- have your MA license number handy.
- Be prepared to pay with credit card or eCheck of $25.
- Visit RMV site here.
- By Mail
- Fill out the Duplicate Certificate of Title form.
- Mail with check or money order of $25 to the following address:
Registry of Motor Vehicles
Title Division P.O. Box 55885
Boston, Massachusetts 02205-5885
- The new title will be mailed to the address on file, or as appropriate to the dealer, lienholder or insurance agent.
- By Person
- Fill out the same form as By Mail above and bring the $25 fee to your local RMV branch office.
Replacing a Title for a Vehicle That Is Still Under a Lien
Follow the steps for replacing your title. If your vehicle is still under a lien, replacement title will be sent to the lienholder.