Renewal Options for Your New York Driver's License
You must have a valid and unexpired license in order to drive a vehicle in New York, and it's very easy to renew online, by mail, or in person.
- Online Services: Refer to the New York Apply Online page for more information.
- Physical Mail: The DMV will mail a renewal notice to you 50 days before your license expires. Complete your renewal notice and follow all instructions if you wish to renew by mail.
- In Person: Anyone can visit a local DMV office for renewals.
In-Person Renewal Details
If you are not eligible to renew online, by phone or by mail, you may complete the renewal form and visit a DMV office in person.
Even if you are eligible in every other way, you must renew in person at least once every 12 years to get a vision test and update your photo, signature and fingerprints. Also, if you wish to change your license's class, this must be done in person or by mail.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR RENEWING IN PERSON
You will need the following documents:
- Form of identification
- Social security number
- Proof you passed a vision test
- U.S. Citizenship or lawful presence status
- New York residency