Posted September 24th, 2018 by Amy Danise
An SR-22 is a form that proves you have auto insurance. If you're required to have SR-22 insurance in Florida, your insurance company will have to file the form with the state. Florida has a few forms used to prove you have insurance, listed below. Not all insurers will file an SR-22, so you may have to switch companies if yours doesn't.
You could be required to have SR-22 insurance in Florida for three years if:
- Your driver's license was suspended because of a major motor vehicle violation.
- Your driver's license was suspended because you have too many points on your license.
- Your driver's license was suspended or revoked because you are a "habitual traffic offender." Florida defines this as a person with three or more traffic convictions over a five-year period, such as manslaughter and using a car to commit a felony.
- You had a car accident while being uninsured.
You could be required to have an FR-44 form in Florida for three years if:
- You have DUI or alcohol-related convictions.
You could be required to have PIP/PDL SR-22 insurance in Florida for two years if:
- You were convicted of not having proof of insurance. This form proves you have personal injury protection (PIP) and property damage liability (PDL).
Source: Insurance Industry Committee on Motor Vehicle Administration
Here's a list of points for common traffic violations in Florida from the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Department.
If you have an SR-22 certificate in Florida and stop paying your auto insurance bill, your insurer will let the Florida DMV know that your policy was cancelled.
Cheap SR-22 insurance in Florida
Insurers typically charge a small administrative fee for the filing. The expensive part of an SR-22 is the problem that led to the requirement, such as a DUI. You'll also have to pay a fee to the DMV to reinstate your license.
But even drivers with SR-22s can potentially save money by shopping around for car insurance quotes. Get car insurance quotes from at least a few companies to compare your options.
Fast, Free Auto Insurance Quotes
The Best Car Insurance CompaniesCar Insurance Quotes
Liability Car InsuranceComprehensive and CollisionMotorcycle InsuranceGap InsuranceNon-owner Car InsuranceRideshare InsuranceSR-22 Insurance
3 Kinds of Insurance You Don’t Know You’ll NeedLife Insurance Coverage For You And Your Family6 Things You May Not Know Are Increasing Your Insurance CostsWhat Is Flood Insurance?Is Your Car Insurance Hurricane Ready?