Chubb sells insurance for homes, cars, boats and businesses. It also sells personal accident insurance, supplemental health insurance and life insurance.
Chubb is well-suited for high net worth clients and provides security recommendations and personal risk assessments for those who have ample assets to protect.
The Chubb Masterpiece homeowners policy can provide several perks, including:
- Extended replacement cost for damaged homes, which means Chubb will pay to repair or rebuild a home to its original look even if the cost exceeds the policy limit.
- Risk consulting for fire-prevention and security advice, and also to help make sure you have the proper insurance.
- HomeScan, which can detect leaks and bad electrical connections before they cause damage.
In addition, Chubb is known for is its wildfire defense service in areas prone to wildfires. Chubb can recommend ways to improve a home's chances of surviving a wildfire and can send fire professionals to defend your house during a wildfire.
Chubb is the world's largest publicly traded property and casualty insurance company.
Chubb home insurance customer satisfaction ratings
We asked Chubb home insurance customers to rate the company. Chubb scored the highest for overall satisfaction among the 15 home insurers in our survey.
Overall satisfaction: 4.5 stars
Price satisfaction: 4 stars
Customer service satisfaction: 4 stars
Would you choose Chubb again?
As another measure of satisfaction, we asked Chubb home insurance customers if they would choose the company again. Here, too, Chubb came out on top in our survey, with the highest percentage of customers who said "yes."
Chubb home insurance discounts
Every insurer must file its rates and policies in the states where it operates. EverQuote reviewed state insurance filings made by Chubb to find discounts typically offered for houses, condos, coops and renters.
If the residence has a central-station or direct-reporting theft or burglar alarm.
If the house or the unit is in a building where exterior walls, floors and roof are built of masonry or other fire-resistive materials with a rating of two hours or more.
If you live in a gated community where vehicle access is limited to entrances controlled by guards or locked gates at all times, proper identification is required to enter, and visitors are announced.
Gated community patrol service
If your gated community has a fire and burglar alarm that alerts the community's 24-hour patrol service to dispatch a guard to your home.
When you add a valuable articles policy or auto insurance policy to a Chubb home insurance policy, and meet other requirements.
When you've paid your premium in full for the year for at least two of the past five years.
If you have no mortgage or lien (does not apply to renters).
Residential sprinkler system
If the living area, basement and heating system have a sprinkler system.
A discount if your house was built within the last 15 years.
A discount if you renovated within the last six years.
For customers who have one or more features from Chubb's "superior protection" list, such as security protection for the entire external perimeter of the house, a full-time caretaker who lives at the residence all year, a temperature-monitoring system, or an automatic seismic shut-off valve for gas lines.
Chubb home insurance surcharges
In our review of state insurance filings, we found these possible surcharges from Chubb:
- Underinsured house surcharge when coverage is below 80% of what Chubb recommends.
- Renovation & construction surcharge.
- Vacant house surcharge for houses vacant more than 30 days.
- Rental unit surcharge.
- Cancellation surcharge if your policy is cancelled for non-payment.
- Distance from water surcharge based on the home's distance from an ocean, sound, inlet or bay.
Companies within Chubb
Many insurance companies have several subsidiaries. These subsidiaries may not operate in all states and could focus on different types of customers or business. Chubb's subsidiaries include:
- ACE American Insurance Co.
- Federal Insurance Co.
- Pacific Indemnity Co.
- ACE P&C Insurance Co.
- Executive Risk Indemnity Inc.
- Pacific Employers Insurance Co
- Great Northern Insurance Co.
- Insurance Co. of North America
- Vigilant Insurance Co.
- Chubb Custom Insurance Co.
- Westchester Fire Insurance Co. (PA)
- Bankers Standard Insurance Co.
- Executive Risk Specialty Insurance Co.
- Chubb National Insurance Co.
- Chubb Indemnity Insurance Co.
- Indemnity Insurance Co. of North America
- Illinois Union Insurance Co.
- Westchester Surplus Lines Insurance
- Agri General Insurance Co.
- ACE Fire Underwriters Insurance Co
- Atlantic Employers Insurance Co.
- Penn Millers Insurance Co.
- ACE Insurance Co. of the Midwest
- Chubb Insurance Co. of NJ
- Century Indemnity Co.
- Chubb Lloyds Insurance Co. of Texas
Source: S&P Global Market Intelligence
Chubb contact information
CH-8001 Zurich, Switzerland
Customer service: 866-324-8222
Claims service for personal auto and home insurance: 1-800-CLAIMS-0 (1-800-252-4670)
For star ratings and whether customers would choose the company again, EverQuote commissioned a survey of 150 current customers of Chubb in January 2019. The survey was not open to the public on EverQuote.com.
Updated March 25, 2019