Fast, Free Auto Insurance Quotes
General Hawaii Insurance Guidelines
Hawaii currently requires that all drivers be covered under liability insurance. Proof of insurance must always be accessible in the vehicle.
Minimum Liability Coverage in Hawaii
Hawaii's minimum liability amounts are as follows:
- $20,000 bodily injury per person
- $40,000 total bodily injury per accident
- $10,000 total property damage per accident
These are only the minimum requirements set by the state. Experts advise protecting your assets by getting more coverage than the state-mandated liability car insurance minimums as these limits tend not to keep pace with the ever increasing costs of car repairs and medical bills. Most drivers also add collision and comprehensive coverage to their policies to cover possible damage to their own cars as well.
Penalties for Driving Without Insurance
The penalty for driving with no insurance in Hawaii is:
- Must surrender registration certificate and plates to county director of finance
- Minimum $500 fine for first offense
- An addition of 4 Points on the driver's Motor Vehicle Record
- Second offense minimum $1000 fine and 4-month license suspension
- Third violation is $1000 fine, 8-month license suspension and up to 40 hours community service
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage
Some states require drivers to carry UM/UIM, or uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. This coverage protects a driver if they get in an accident where the other party does not have auto insurance. Hawaii does not require UM/UIM coverage.
Some states have no-fault laws where a policy holder will be reimbursed by their insurance company without proof of fault, and restricted in the right to seek reimbursement through the court system for losses caused by other parties. Hawaii is a no-fault state. There is also a $5,000 monetary threshold for no-fault insurance. If medical care costs exceed $5,000, the victim can sue for damages.
Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Some states have Personal Injury Protection or “PIP” regulations requiring drivers to carry PIP insurance. This is an extension of auto insurance that covers medical expenses, lost wages and/or other damages. Hawaii requires drivers to purchase PIP insurance. The minimum PIP coverage amounts for Hawaii are $10,000.00.
More: Auto insurance types
SR-22 Requirements for Hawaii
An SR-22 insurance form is a vehicle liability insurance document to be filed with a state’s DMV as proof that a driver has the minimum required liability insurance coverage for that state. SR-22 filings are usually only required to reinstate driving privileges after an offense such as a DUI conviction, uninsured auto accident or driving without insurance. Hawaii requires an SR-22 filing for driver’s license reinstatement.
Hawaii DUI Laws
It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle in the United States with a BAC (Blood Alcohol Content) level of 0.08% or higher. All states have driver's licensing laws that state that a licensed driver has given implied consent to a field sobriety test and/or method of determining BAC. This means that a driver is required to take such tests if a law enforcement officer has reasonable grounds for administering one, with automatic penalties for refusing to comply. If BAC is determined to be above the legal level a driver will be penalized in various ways. The first DUI offense penalties for Hawaii are:
- 2–5 days imprisonment and 2 more days if there is a minor under 15 in the vehicle
- $150–$1,000 fine + $500 if minor under 15 in vehicle
- 90-day prompt license suspension (driving may be allowed)
- 30-day prompt license suspension (driving limited to court approval)
- 6-month license suspension in BAC above 0.15%
- $25–$50 special trauma fund surcharge
- 72 hours community service
- Successful completion of court-ordered substance abuse education program
Additional Information on Insurance for Hawaii
For more information, please contact Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs: 1-808-586-2790 or visit their website at hawaii.gov.
Be the best driver in Hawaii: Download EverDrive for your iOS or Android phone and start competing with your neighbors and friends!