Renewal Options for Your Texas Driver's License
- Online Services: Refer to the Apply Online for Texas Driver's Licenses here.
- Physical Mail: If you received an invitation through the mail, you can then renew by mail if you would like. Follow all the instructions on the form you should have received as part of the invitation.
- By Phone: If you are eligible to apply online you can also call by phone to renew.
- In Person: Anyone can visit a DMV office for renewals.
In-Person Renewal Details
If you are not eligible to renew online, by phone or by mail, you must complete the renewal application and visit a DMV office in person.
Even if you are eligible in every other way, you must renew in person at least once every 12 years to get a vision test and update your photo, signature and fingerprints.
Documents Required for renewing in person
You will need the following documents:
- An ID to prove your identity
- Social security number
- U.S. Citizenship or lawful presence status
- Texas residency
- Proof of Texas vehicle registration and proof of financial responsibility for each vehicle owned, or a statement stating that you do not own a motor vehicle.