The average cost of home insurance is $1,173, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners' 2017 homeowners insurance report. Florida and Texas have the most expensive overall cost of homeowners insurance, based on the most common policy type, called an HO-3 policy.Average home insurance rates vary by state and the amount of insurance purchased. When you're buying home insurance, you want an insurance amount that covers the cost of rebuilding your house from the ground up. That's an amount for a worst-case scenario, such as a fire or tornado that completely destroys your home. (Don't include the value of land in the rebuilding cost.)
To make a homeowners insurance estimate for rebuilding costs, multiply the square footage of your house by the local cost per square foot for construction. Your home insurance agent can help you figure out the right amount of insurance.
It cost $237,760 to construct a typical single-family home in 2017, according to the National Association of Home Builders. Use the map below to see the average home insurance cost for a variety of insurance amounts where you live.
How much is homeowners insurance?
Home insurance rates at a glance
What determines homeowners insurance rates
Home insurance companies use information about you and the property determine the cost of home insurance. This includes:
- The cost to rebuild the house
- The age of the house (newer homes can be cheaper to insure)
- Your town's fire protection rating (called a Public Protection Classification from ISO)
- Claims in your neighborhood (for example, theft can push up rates)
- The amount of insurance needed and the deductible you choose
- Your history of home insurance claims
- Your credit (banned for use in home insurance rates by California, Massachusetts and Maryland)
Ways to lower home insurance cost
- Compare home insurance quotes from a few companies.
- Raise your deductible, which is the amount deducted from a claims check.
- Bundle your home and auto insurance for a discount.
- Ask your insurance agent what other discounts are available, such as security-system discounts.
- Keep your home insurance claims record clean, if possible. Don't make claims for small problems, which could lead to a home insurance rate increase.