When you experience a fire or break-in, the first thing you’re probably thinking about is the wellbeing of the structure of the home and your personal belongings. Certain other features may initially get overlooked. However, these features might cost a lot of money to repair or replace if you don’t have adequate homeowners insurance coverage.

Air conditioner units – whether they’re in the form of central air or a window unit – can cost a lot of money to fix. While you may be able to file a claim for damage on your AC units, you aren’t guaranteed protection. The type of air conditioner unit and the cause of the damage are the two pieces of information your homeowners insurance company keeps in mind when deciding if they will cover the costs to replace or repair the unit.


When are AC units covered?

AC units receive the same type of coverage that the rest of your home gets. If the damage is caused by natural disasters or vandalism, you should receive protection on these units with your current homeowners insurance policy. Your homeowners insurance will cover the following causes: fire, lightning, falling trees, vandalism and theft, freezing weather, burst pipes, and faulty parts. For example, if there’s a fire in your home and you experience damage to your AC units – among other parts of your home – your homeowners policy will cover the repair or replacement.


When are they not covered?

One instance in which your AC unit will not receive protection is as a result of normal wear-and-tear. If you’ve had your AC unit for years before it finally gives out, you’ll most likely need to cover the damages yourself. For instance, Esurance will not cover air conditioner units that are older than 10 years. In addition, if the damage occurs as a result of lack of maintenance, the repair or replacement is on you; insurance companies consider lack of maintenance to be a negligence, which they consider to be your fault.


What about the different types of AC units?

Different insurance companies sometimes classify central AC and window AC units as different entities. Central AC units will often be considered part of your house’s structure and will receive coverage as such. Some companies consider window units as personality property, as they are not physically attached to the home and can be moved. Talk to your insurance company to make sure you’ll receive coverage on a window unit before you invest in one.


Depending on the type of AC unit you have and the cause of the damage, you may or may not receive coverage to repair or replace an air conditioning unit. If you do experience an issue with your AC unit, decide whether or not you’d like to make a claim based on the price of your deductible. In addition, keep in mind that the premiums you pay for homeowners insurance may increase after you file a claim.