Fast, Free Auto Insurance Quotes
Minimum car insurance in Florida
Liability insurance in Florida:
Bodily injury liability insurance is not required in Florida unless you have been found guilty of driving under the influence (a DUI conviction):
- If the offense took place before Oct. 1, 2007, the minimum required limits were $10,000 per person and $20,000 per accident.
- If the offense took place after Oct. 1, 2007, the minimum required limits are $100,000 per person and $300,000 per accident.
Property-damage liability is required in Florida. It will cover the damage to others if you cause an accident. So if someone hits your car or property, you can make a claim against their property-damage liability insurance. The minimum property-damage liability you must buy in Florida is:
- $10,000 for property damage per accident.
- $50,000 for property damage if you have been found guilty of driving under the influence.
Uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage:
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM) is not required in Florida. This coverage pays for injuries to you or your passengers from a driver who has no liability insurance or not enough of it. Insurers must offer UM in Florida but you can reject it in writing.
- If you do buy UM, the minimum coverage is $10,000 per person/$50,000 per accident for injuries.
No-fault insurance in Florida
Florida has a no-fault insurance system. That means you'll make small injury claims on your own policy, no matter who was at fault. Personal injury protection (PIP) pays these claims.
In Florida, you must buy at least $10,000 in PIP coverage and $5,000 in death benefits.
Optional car insurance in Florida
Liability insurance and PIP won't cover damage to your own vehicle. For example, say you sideswipe a guardrail or hit a sign post. For that, you want collision coverage. Here are more types of insurance.
Collision coverage: For car damage caused by hitting another vehicle or an object, like a tree.
Comprehensive coverage: For car theft or damage to your car caused by fire, weather, vandalism, falling objects, explosions and crashes with animals.
Rental reimbursement: This insurance pays for a rental car when your vehicle needs repairs due to a car accident covered by comprehensive or collision insurance.
You must show an insurance ID card (or other proof of financial responsibility) in Florida when:
- Law enforcement requests it.
- You renew vehicle registration.
Here's information about doing a Florida driver's license check to see if your license is valid or suspended.
Penalties for not having car insurance in Florida
- Failure to maintain mandatory coverage may result in the loss of registration and driving privileges.
Source: Property Casualty Insurers Association of America
Consumer complaints against the largest auto insurance companies in Florida
Each state handles complaints against insurance companies that operate in the state. A national "complaint ratio" is meant to show the number of complaints against a company relative to its size of business. Shown below are ratios for the largest car insurance companies in Florida.
Updated July 9, 2018
Find a Florida auto insurance agent
Boca Raton Car Insurance | Boynton Beach Car Insurance | Bradenton Car Insurance | Cape Coral Car Insurance | Clearwater Car Insurance | Daytona Beach Car Insurance | Deerfield Beach Car Insurance | Delray Beach Car Insurance | Deltona Car Insurance | Fort Lauderdale Car Insurance | Fort Myers Car Insurance | Gainesville Car Insurance | Hialeah Car Insurance | Homestead Car Insurance | Hollywood Car Insurance | Jacksonville Car Insurance | Jupiter Car Insurance | Kissimmee Car Insurance | Lakeland Car Insurance | Largo Car Insurance | Melbourne Car Insurance | Miami Car Insurance | Miami Beach Car Insurance | North Port Car Insurance | Ocala Car Insurance | Orlando Car Insurance | Palm Bay Car Insurance | Palm Coast Car Insurance | Pembroke Pines Car Insurance | Pensacola Car Insurance | Pinellas Park Car Insurance | Pompano Beach Car Insurance | Port Orange Car Insurance | Port St. Lucie Car Insurance | Sanford Car Insurance | Sarasota Car Insurance | St. Petersburg Car Insurance | Tallahassee Car Insurance | Tampa Car Insurance | West Palm Beach Car Insurance