About ProgressiveProgressive sells primarily auto insurance, which is about 86% of its business, according to S&P Global Market Intelligence. Commercial auto insurance is about 8% of its business. Homeowners insurance is sold through Progressive's insurance agency from other insurance companies and also from Progressive's subsidiary American Strategic Insurance.
With Progressive's mobile app you can see your policies, view and share your insurance ID card, report and track a claim, get roadside assistance and more.
Progressive car insurance customer satisfaction ratings
|Overall rating||Price satisfaction||Customer service satisfaction|
Would you choose Progressive auto insurance again?
|Numbers might not total 100% due to rounding|
See rankings: Best car insurance companies
Progressive auto insurance price comparison
Here's a look at how Progressive car insurance premiums compare to other large auto insurance companies.
|Company||Monthly premium paid|
|Source: Premiums reported by EverQuote users, based on policies with bodily injury liability coverage of 100/300. Rates are based on single vehicles with one driver who has a good driving record with no violations. Premiums for sedans, coupes and hatchbacks were averaged. Premiums are based on expenditures reported between Jan. 1, 2016, and April 1, 2018. Your own rates will be different.|
Progressive insurance options
In addition to regular personal auto insurance policies, here's a look at other Progressive auto insurance options.
|SR-22s (proof of auto insurance filings)||Yes|
|Usage-based insurance||Yes, Snapshot|
|Source: EverQuote research. Product options might not be available in all states.|
Progressive car insurance discounts
Here are some of the discounts offered by Progressive, based on EverQuote's analysis of state insurance filings. Discounts might not be available in all states or from all Progressive subsidiaries.
For owning your primary residence.
When your primary residence is a mobile home.
For customers who've had no at-fault accidents or certain violations and who meet other criteria.
Five years accident-free or five years claim-free
A discount for new customers who meet certain criteria.
For new customers, this discount is based on the length of time you've been continuously covered and also based on the previous insurance company.
For full-time students under age 23 living at school more than 100 miles from home without a car.
For full-time students under age 23 who have a B average or better, or a 3.0 GPA or better, or who meet other academic criteria.
For policyholders who have a child driver under age 19 who's single.
Mature driver/defensive driving course
For customers age 55 or older who complete an approved defensive-driving class.
For factory-installed automatic emergency braking.
Recovery device (anti-theft)
Daytime running lights
Advance shop days
For initiating a quote a certain number of days before the policy effective date.
Paid in full
For paying the full bill with your application or at renewal time.
Electronic funds transfer
For using EFT to pay your bill.
For customers who start their quotes online.
For receiving policy documents electronically.
For new customers who agree to sign documents electronically.
Automatic card payment
For paying automatically with a credit card or debit card.
For insuring more than one vehicle.
For buying more than one type of policy through Progressive.
Fast, Free Auto Insurance Quotes
Surcharges are extra costs for "risky" factors, generally added when you buy a policy or at renewal time. Auto insurance companies commonly add these surcharges for a specific period of time, depending on the reason. In EverQuote's review of state insurance filings we found Progressive surcharges for:
- At-fault accidents.
- Moving violations.
- Business use of a vehicle.
- Rideshare use if you drive for a company such as Uber, Lyft, etc.
- Financial responsibility filing surcharge if you need proof of insurance filed, such as an SR-22. This is in addition to a filing fee.
You may find that some potential surcharges can be waived. You may be eligible for these waivers:
Low payout claims forgiveness waiver: You won't get a claim-related surcharge if Progressive's payout on the claim was $500 or less and you have been with Progressive for at least six months or you had prior insurance.
Accident surcharge waiver: You won't get surcharge for an accident if you've had a Progressive policy for at least 59 months, you reported the claim to Progressive, you didn't have any chargeable accidents or violations in the last 35 months, and you meet other criteria.
Consumer complaints about Progressive
Every state's insurance department handles complaints against insurers that operate in the state. The National Association of Insurance Commissioners collects complaint data and produces a complaint ratio. The number is meant to show the number of complaints relative to a company's size of business. The industry median ratio is 1.00 and lower numbers are better. Progressive's ratio is better than the industry median.
Companies within Progressive
Many insurance companies have several subsidiaries. These subsidiaries may not operate in all states and could focus on different types of customers or business. Progressive's subsidiaries include:
- Progressive Direct Insurance Co.
- Progressive Casualty Insurance Co.
- United Financial Casualty Co.
- Progressive Northern Insurance Co.
- Progressive Northwestern Insurance
- American Strategic Insurance Corp.
- Progressive Specialty Insurance Co.
- Progressive Preferred Insurance Co.
- Progressive American Insurance Co.
- Progressive Advanced Insurance Co.
- Progressive Select Insurance Co.
- Progressive Marathon Insurance Co.
- Progressive Max Insurance Co.
- Progressive Michigan Insurance Co.
- Progressive Universal Insurance Co.
- Progressive Classic Insurance Co.
- ASI Lloyds
- Progressive Mountain Insurance Co.
- Progressive Gulf Insurance Co.
- Progressive Premier Insurance Co.
- Progressive Southeastern Insurance
- Mountain Laurel Assurance Co.
- Progressive Garden State Insurance
- Progressive Hawaii Insurance Corp.
- Artisan & Truckers Casualty Co
- National Continental Insurance Co.
- Progressive Express Insurance Co.
- Progressive Paloverde Insurance Co.
- Progressive Security Insurance Co.
- ASI Assurance Corp.
- Progressive Bayside Insurance Co.
- Progressive Property Insurance Co.
- Drive New Jersey Insurance Co.
- ASI Preferred Insurance Corp.
- Progressive West Insurance Co.
- ASI Select Insurance Corp.
- ASI Select Auto Insurance Corp
- ASI Home Insurance Corp.
- Blue Hill Specialty Insurance Co.
- Progressive Commercial Casualty Co.
- Progressive Choice Insurance Co.
- Progressive Freedom Insurance Co.
- Progressive County Mutual Insurance Co.
Source: S&P Global Market Intelligence
Progressive Insurance contact information
6300 Wilson Mills Road
Mayfield, OH 44143
Customer service and claims: (800) 776-4737
Methodology for ratings
For star ratings and whether customers would choose the company again, EverQuote commissioned a survey of 150 current customers of Progressive in March 2018. The survey was not open to the public on EverQuote.com.
Updated Nov. 19, 2018