Fast, Free Auto Insurance Quotes
About Liberty Mutual
Liberty Mutual is based in Boston and sells a wide range of insurance products, including auto, antique car, motorcycle, homeowners, renters, commercial auto and small business insurance.
For parents worried about losing college tuition money, Liberty Mutual offers tuition insurance in some states. This provides tuition reimbursement if a student has to leave school because of illness, injury or a mental health issue such as depression.
Liberty Mutual customers with an Amazon Echo can ask Alexa for Liberty Mutual insurance estimates and advice on home and auto topics.
Liberty Mutual auto insurance ratings
|Overall rating||Price satisfaction||Customer service satisfaction|
Would you choose Liberty Mutual again for auto insurance?
See more auto insurance ratings: Best car insurance: Rankings
Liberty Mutual car insurance price comparison
Here's a look at how car insurance premiums compare among Liberty Mutual and other large auto insurers.
|Company||Monthly premium paid|
|Source: Premiums reported by EverQuote users, based on policies with bodily injury liability coverage of 100/300. Rates are based on single vehicles with one driver who has a good driving record with no violations. Premiums for sedans, coupes and hatchbacks were averaged. Premiums are based on expenditures reported between Jan. 1, 2016, and April 1, 2018. Your own rates will be different.|
Liberty Mutual car insurance options
Liberty Mutual offers all the basic auto insurance you'd expect, such as liability, collision, comprehensive and uninsured motorist coverage, and more. Here's a look at whether Liberty Mutual offers certain auto insurance options.
Proof of financial responsibility.
Also called auto loan/lease coverage. This can pay the difference between the value of a totaled or stolen car and what’s still owed on a car loan or lease.
Insurance with rates based on driving habits, such as hard braking.
Liability insurance for people who don’t own vehicles.
Extra coverage for Uber and Lyft drivers and others.
|Source: EverQuote research. Product options might not be available in all states.|
Also available from Liberty Mutual
New car replacement: If your car is totaled car and was less than a year old and had less than 15,000 miles, this optional coverage pays for a brand new car. It's not available for leased cars or motorcycles.
Better car replacement: If your car is totaled, this optional coverage pays for a car that's a year newer and with 15,000 miles less than the totaled car. It's not available for leased cars or motorcycles.
ByMile: For drivers who don't drive much, this "pay as you drive" insurance uses the number of miles you drive each month to determine your premium. (Not available in all states.)
Liberty Mutual Deductible Fund: Customers who buy collision insurance can receive a $100 annual credit towards a "collision deductible bank." If you make a collision claim, your collision deductible is reduced up to the value of your bank balance. You must buy an endorsement to get this feature.
Liberty Mutual car insurance discounts
Here are some of the Liberty Mutual auto insurance discounts offered, based on our review of state insurance filings made by Liberty Mutual. Discounts details may change among states, and may not be available in all states or from every Liberty Mutual subsidiary.
- College educated.
- Group Savings Plus discount (for employees of participating employers and members of participating organizations).
- Defensive driving course discount (for drivers age 55 and older who complete an approved accident-prevention course).
- Platinum discount (for customers who are homeowners insuring two or more vehicles and who have a four-year bachelor's degree or higher).
- Motorcycle accident-prevention course.
- Good student (for full-time students under age 26 who meet academic criteria, such as a B average or higher or ranking in the top 20% of their class).
- Anti-lock brake.
- Anti-theft device.
- Passive restraint.
- Multi-motorcycle discount (for customers insuring two or more motorcycles).
- Antique car.
- Early shopper (based on the number of days a new customer gets a Liberty Mutual quote before the new policy starts or the old policy expires).
Consumer complaints against Liberty Mutual
Every state's insurance department handles complaints against insurers that operate in the state. The National Association of Insurance Commissioners collects complaint data and produces a complaint ratio. The number is meant to show the number of complaints relative to a company's size of business. The industry median ratio is 1.00 and lower numbers are better.
Liberty Mutual home insurance ratings
We also asked Liberty Mutual home insurance customers about their satisfaction and whether they would choose Liberty Mutual again for their home insurance. Here’s how they rated the company.
|Overall rating||Price satisfaction||Customer service satisfaction|
Would you choose Liberty Mutual again for home insurance?
Companies within Liberty Mutual
It's common for insurance groups to have many subsidiaries. These subsidiaries may not operate in all states and could focus on different types of customers or business. Liberty Mutual's subsidiaries include:
- First Liberty Insurance Corp.
- Wausau Business Insurance Co.
- Wausau General Insurance Co.
- Wausau Underwriters Insurance Co.
- LM Insurance Corp.
- LM General Insurance Co.
- LM Property and Casualty Insurance Co.
- Liberty Surplus Insurance Corp.
- Liberty Lloyds of Texas Insurance Co.
- Liberty County Mutual Insurance Co.
- Liberty Insurance Holdings
- Liberty Mutual Agency Corp.
- Indiana Insurance Co.
- Peerless Insurance Co.
- Colorado Casualty Insurance Co.
- Netherlands Insurance Co.
- America First Insurance Co.
- Excelsior Insurance Co.
- Hawkeye-Security Insurance Co.
- Midwestern Indemnity Co.
- Mid-American Fire & Casualty Co.
- Peerless Indemnity Insurance Co.
- Liberty Northwest Insurance Corp.
- Oregon Automobile Insurance Co.
- North Pacific Insurance Co.
- Golden Eagle Insurance Corp.
- America First Lloyd's Insurance Co.
- Safeco Corp.
- American States Preferred Insurance Co.
- American Economy Insurance Co.
- Safeco Insurance Co. of America
- San Diego Insurance Co.
- Liberty Insurance Corp.
- Insurance Co. of Illinois
- Liberty Mutual Mid-Atlantic Insurance Co.
- Liberty Insurance Underwriters
- Montgomery Mutual Insurance Co.
- Ironshore Inc.
- LM Personal Insurance Co.
Source: S&P Global Market Intelligence
Liberty Mutual contact information
175 Berkeley Street
Boston, MA 02116
Customer service: (888) 398-8924
Claims: (844) 339-5299
Methodology for ratings
For star ratings and whether customers would choose the company again, EverQuote commissioned a survey of 150 current customers of Liberty Mutual Insurance in March 2018. The survey was not open to the public on EverQuote.com.
Updated Nov. 5, 2018